Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Lack of Sleep & A New Plan

Bob and I have both been struggling to sleep for quite some time now.  It gets very frustrating for both of us, obviously.  Since we both have been experiencing it, we feel pretty bad for the other one if we find out they didn't sleep well the night before.  Last night was an unfortunate night for me. :(  We thought we had found a cure with a nighttime tea, but that didn't really work as well last night.  I first laid down to sleep at 10:30 and attempted to sleep until 12:15.  I then came out to lay on the couch and perhaps fall asleep to TV.  I know it sounds horrible, but I have done that for so many years that I thought it might help.  That didn't help too much, even though watching a show about Denise Richards was entertaining.  I finally fell asleep back in bed sometime around 2:30.  Imagine my frustration when I don't have to work today, and I only slept in until 8:30!  Oh well, I'm going to take advantage of it.  I've already started some laundry and picked up around the apartment.  With the way our apartment is set up, though, I can't do many loud activities, so I'll have to wait for dishes and sweeping until later.

As you know, I've been struggling to find something to do in my free time.  Many good suggestions have come my way, but none have seemed like a perfect fit.  I finally sat down, did some thinking and came up with a great (in my opinion) solution.  I'm going to refocus a lot of my energy into eating healthier and exercising.  My weight is something I have struggled with for...well...probably 23 years!  I've tried so many different "solutions", and none of them have worked out perfectly for me.  Thinking of what might work best, I reconsidered using dieting pills to help me, but quickly decided against that.  I thought of getting a personal trainer and re-realized that I'm poor.  I thought of getting a gym membership, then I felt horrible remembering that I have 24/7 access to a workout room downstairs.  Thinking of how easy the solution was to the exercise portion, I've decided to go back to basics with my eating habits.  I found a pretty cool and easy to follow Daily Food Plan Worksheet (http://www.choosemyplate.gov/downloads/worksheets/Worksheet_1800_18plusyr.pdf) from the USDA.  Bob's reaction was that it was a great idea, but it hurts him to think of how much printer ink we'd use!  lol  So we're going to "home laminate" it so it can be reused.  Last month we started a dinner menu so that we knew what we'd be eating each night.  It helped with grocery shopping and simply planning.  We did the same thing for this month.  I'm very excited about some of the new meals we have thanks to some Facebook friends!  I'll simply chart each day and hope that it comes out to the USDA recommendations.  I will also be trying to drink lots and lots of water.  I know for a bit I will struggle with getting it correct, but hopefully I will understand that.  I'm trying to change years of habits, afterall!
Through junior high and high school, I just wanted a quick fix to the weight loss solution.  I can still remember nights where I would pray to God for a miracle as I balled my eyes out about being overweight.  I think my ideas of a miracle were liposuction and being on a weight loss TV show.  Now, I'll be praying to God for will power!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment