Sunday, March 4, 2012

One step at a time

Oh, blog, how I have missed you!  It's hard to believe it's been since September that I've written!  How sad!  I've been a busy, busy girl getting into the swing of things at work.  I'm proud to say that I've been making some positive changes in my life lately, and I really wanted to (along with the suggestion of my lovely sister-in-law) document these changes and the journey I'm taking.  So...here I am!

On January 15th, 2012, I signed up to join the online version of Weight Watchers.  Result - best decision ever!  This weekend I fit into jeans 1 size smaller than previously!  Bob and I have been working together very hard to create healthy lifestyles.  My mother has been doing Weight Watchers, as well, and we've formed a great support teams for ourselves!  I'm loving experimenting with tons of new foods and styles of cooking.  One of my absolute favorite things ever: Farmer's Markets!  There are 2 in the Seattle area that are year-round!  It's so great and fun!

I've also incorporated my newfound love of www.pinterest.com into my new lifestyle.  Here's my newest creation:

This latter picture is of my creation in its permanent place - on the bathroom vanity so I can be inspired everyday!  


If you are my friend on Facebook, you also might know that I've created a Lent challenge to try 40 new healthy foods in 40 days.  It's going pretty well!  Of course, it's also extremely exciting!  I've never seen our fruit basket (well, this is a new one - LOVE it!) so full of foods...all the time!



Along with eating right comes, of course, exercise.  It's officially been 7 weeks since I've joined WW, and I really was hoping I would have been in an exercise routine by now.  Truth is, that simply hasn't happened. I worked out with weights and a treadmill a few different times in our fitness center, have done a 10 minute hip hop workout from Netflix and most recently, tonight, did an intro. to some Zumba DVDs that I purchased.  I know I will get out of this rut eventually, as the exercise is so vital to a healthy lifestyle.  It will just take some time.  :)

One of the down points of the exercise is that my Myasthenia Gravis has begun spiraling again lately.  Today is the worst it's been in awhile.  I struggled greatly to get out of bed on my own, and I was fearful of falling quite a few times when out running errands.  The weakness is felt greatly in my fingers as I type, also.  I hope that the new diet changes are doing nothing but helping me to improve, though.  It takes a lot to beat all of these steroids, though! ;)

Another down point has been my own mind.  I am very pleased to say that I haven't gone over my points allowance once while following WW this time around.  I have been very disciplined, but I haven't felt deprived.  It's wonderful!  However, living in Seattle, not having many close friends here and simply missing my family so greatly has really gotten me down.  The holidays were very tough on me, and I'm just now starting to come out of a slump.  I had an appointment with a new psychiatrist last Friday, and I will be seeing him weekly. He.Is.Amazing.  He's so personable and I can't wait until my next session!  A few things we decided to work on I'll keep private, but others I'm excited to share.  One challenge was to read more books.  I haven't read in so long!  I went to the library with Bob on Saturday (side note - the downtown library is always a WONDERFUL place to go!), and we got 5 or 6 books.  I stayed up until 3AM last night finishing one. :)  Let me know if you have any suggestions!  I'm currently looking at Pulitzer Prize winning books along with a few others.  I also subscribed to The Seattle Times - Sunday edition.  Haven't gotten the first issue yet, though (it's actual a mystery as to where that might be....).


Anyway, I've been taking this one day at a time and one step at a time, and what I'm looking forward to most right now is the surgery I will be having for my MG.  I'm hoping this will be a major positive change in the MG.  Also, my mom is flying out to help with the recovery phase!!!  There are only about 3 weeks left until surgery, and I quite honestly can't wait.  I'm hoping for some great results!


Well, it has been quite the update.  As always, your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated, and I'd love to keep you in mine if you would like to share any requests.  Please comment as Words of Affirmation are by far my Love Language!  :)  They get me through so much!

Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment